Ever since the disaster of Chernobyl in 1986 the nuclear power plant and the nearby town Pripyat has been evacuated and abandoned due to radiation. All that remains of Pripyat is an eerie ghost town. Among the companies to arrange day tours in to the area is Ukranian Web charging from $100-170 per person and operates the whole year around.
Ukranian web’s Tour Schedule:
- Duration of the Chernobyl and Pripyat tour: 1 day – leaving Kyiv at 9:00 in the morning and returning from the trip to Kyiv at 6:00 in the evening. (Optional: visiting the Chornobyl Museum in Kiev the day before the tour.)
- Kiev – Chernobyl. Passing Dytyatky, at the border of the 30-km Chornobyl zone.
- Arrival at the town of Chernobyl. Meeting with the authorities of “Chernobyl Interinform” agency.
- Transfer to the village of Leliyov. Passing the 10-km zone border.
- Transfer to the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station and sightseeing of Reactor 4.
- Visit to Pripyat (Prypiat), a highlight of your trip.
Sightseeing of “The Dead (Ghost) Town” (swimming pool area, ferris wheel, river boat, abandoned buildings – inside and outside).
- Stop nearby the “Red Forest”.
- Return to Chernobyl. Lunch*. (Food is delivered from outside of the Chernobyl zone.)
- Visit to the Chernobyl Scientific Center: physical and radiochemical laboratories, other.
- Visiting the Opachychi village, meeting with “re-settlers”, people who have moved back to their villages after evacuation (optional).
- Passage to the village of Rossokha, a cemetery of military machineries (currently not available).
- Passage through the Dytyatky Control Point. Measuring of radiation.
- Return to Kiev at around 6 p.m.
- This is an all-inclusive, English guided tour. It includes: Kiev pick-up and drop-off, Zone access pass and transportation, English guide, lunch*.